Friday Favorites is a weekly round up of my favorite stories and products from around the web. See what I’ve loved in the past here.
- Wilder nature is better for your health than manicured parks, and science is working to understand why.
- Looking for ways to get your kids outside more often? Check out these tips for hiking with your kids and this list of the best National Parks for kids.
- We all know that it’s important to be prepared for emergencies at home, but it’s just as important to be prepared when things go crazy in the backcountry. Here are some tips for what to do if you get caught in a wildfire while you’re out hiking.
- Here are 10 reasons why it’s good to have a horse-crazy kid.
- And here are some new stops to add to your bucket list: a handful of underrated National Parks, the gorgeous town of Matera in Southern Italy, and Norway. Heavens to Betsy, this video gives me goosebumps.
- I’ve always admired people who carry a sketchbook around with them, so I love this fun list of beautiful sketchbooks.
- I would hire Bogi Fabian to paint a galaxy on my ceiling if I knew I could get my landlords on board with it.
- I love the incredible photos in this year’s Nature Conservancy Photo Contest. The slot canyon photo is my favorite.
- These photos by photographer Ashraki Mussa Machano are a breathtaking glimpse into life in Zanzibar.
- It’s incredibly moving when people find ways to use art as an agent of change, like these dancers in Syria.
- Do you want to find a college degree that turns your love of the outdoors into a job that will actually pay the bills? Utah State’s new Outdoor Product Design and Development course might be just what you’re looking for. Plus, you’ll get to live in the Cache Valley, which will make me totally jealous.
- Have you ever wondered what it’s like to raise a flamingo? Neither have I, but I’m sure glad I know now.
- Studies are showing that many diurnal animals are becoming more nocturnal. Either they just really like the night life in this town, or they’re trying to better coexist with their human neighbors.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art has made 50,000 resources from its library available online–for freeeeeeeee.
- Mosquitoes. Annoying, right? Also, strangely musical.
- This blog about the blessing of being broken really touched my heart.
- Sometimes I need to be reminded that it’s actually okay to take a little time for myself. Not only is it good for me, but it allows me more opportunities to feel the spirit.
- I loved this article by Joy D. Jones about the good we can do when we speak up.
- In case you missed it, the LDS church has released a 4-volume book about the history of the Restoration.
- I loved this conference talk when it was given back in 2000, and it resurfaced in my personal studies again this week.
- New York City has a creative solution to an unusual problem: what to do with old toilets?
- If you’re following the 2018 Farm Bill saga, here’s a good update on where things stand, and what happens next. And here’s what you can do to make sure the best version of this bill gets passed.
- Here are three reasons to be concerned about the new GMO labeling laws proposed by the USDA, and here’s what you can do about it.
- Looking to plant some fruit trees and berry bushes? Here’s how long they’ll live.
- Here’s an uplifting new song from my old pal, Josh Groban. Happy Friday!